Friday, July 28, 2017

What is important with a blog? Readership or comments?

My friend Rich Reynolds over at UFO Conjectures appears to be lamenting not his readership numbers but comments from said readers.  So I ask the question:  What is more important, readers or comments?

Rich's tomes tend to be that of merging classical literature, art, theology with attempts to explain the UFO and/or ET phenomena.  I've no qualms with that approach as it provides enlightenment for his readers and challenges that readership to look at the classics.  It's an interesting approach.

But his approach does cut down on comments, yet it does provide a swell of viewers, I being one of them.

If I use this blog as an example, you'll see the same, plenty of readers but not quite the numbers of comments.  I've long accepted this to be the case and have no problems with it.  It's the readership that matters.  My views are being considered...not accepted or rejected...but considered.  This is not to mean that these views may well have been outright rejected, but at least someone has taken the time to read and comprehend what I'm all about.

Further, I write as I would speak...simple and easy to understand.  That does not mean that I can not wax prose and communicate in the highest standards of academia or obtuse intellectualism.  I can easily convert to that form, but find it very stuffy and off putting, if not outright stupid.

The subject tends to be complicated, why not explain it in the most simplest form?

The foundation for this blog are the following posts that anchor my personal franchise: 

http://timhebert.blogspot.com/2010/12/did-ufo-attempt-to-launch-minot-afb.html, this with 1424 separate views.

https://timhebert2.blogspot.com/, Echo Flight:  The Makings of a UFO Myth, 2122 current views.

https://timhebert3.blogspot.com/, Oscar Flight:  A mysterious UFO Tale Never Was, 1441 current views.

Very little comments, yet slowly but surely spreading my alternative theory for anyone to consider.  This and the above works/opinions are what I want to be known for.

What good are comments if no one reads my posts?

4 comments:

  1. I read your posts. I don't comment when I don't have anything to say, which is many more times than not. Food for thought doesn't require immediate comment, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes PG, I've long ago accepted this and it does not bother me the least. I'm the same way about posting comments on other blogs so your not alone. Most of the comments when posted on my blog have been good ones. Every now and then I get real gems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try working a blog that's 100% fiction - different parameters all around, I'd imagine. Not that I would know anything about that, but the theory is fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, if more conversation is one of your goals, forum software is the solution. Blog software was never designed for ongoing in depth exchanges.

    ReplyDelete